Select currency:
$ USD
$ USD
€ EUR
£ GBP
₴ UAH
UKRAINE
Holy Transfiguration Cathedral
City:
Odessa
Address:
Soborna Square, 3
Built:
1795

Odessa Savior Transfiguration Cathedral - the largest Orthodox church in Odessa. It was laid down in 1794, consecrated in 1808, destroyed in 1936. After the restoration is re-consecrated: in 2001 - the chapel of the bell tower; In 2002 - the lower temple; In 2003 - the upper temple. The main altar of the cathedral was consecrated by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia on July 21, 2010.

With its architectural development, the cathedral reflected the level of development of Odessa and the whole region. Being a small cult building in the beginning of the XIX century, it became one of the largest cathedrals of Russia in the beginning of the XX century. The cathedral accommodated up to 12 thousand people at the same time, and the Cathedral Square of Odessa was the main square of the city, which began and passed all major city holidays. The Hole Transfiguration Cathedral before the beginning of XX century became the main church of Novorossiia.

In 1936 the cathedral suffered the fate of many churches in the vastness of the USSR: the temple was desecrated, barbarously looted and destroyed to the ground. From the point of view of the Soviet authorities, this monument of architecture did not represent any historical value!

But times have passed, morals have changed, and in 1999, work began on the reconstruction of the Savior's Transfiguration Cathedral. The restoration of the temple was conducted under the auspices of a charitable organization and solely at the expense of donated funds. In 2005 the construction was completed, and the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Cathedral again became not only one of the main attractions of Odessa, but also the center of the spiritual life of the city, the same age as he is.

And you can relax in the City Garden of Odessa, which was founded by the brother of the founder of the city Felix de Ribas.