Select currency:
$ USD
$ USD
€ EUR
£ GBP
₴ UAH
UKRAINE
Odessa Opera House
City:
Odessa
Address:
Tchaikovsky lane, 1
Built:
1809
Open:
10AM-9PM

The history of the theater in Odessa begans not at the famous stage of the Odessa opera, but from a small improvised scene arranged in the store room, which saw in 1803 the first in the city the first production of the opera "Melnik - the sorcerer, the deceiver and the swat" by Alexander Onisimovich Abelsimov (1742 - 1783), created by the forces of the soldiers' circle of art lovers.

And for seven years from that time, the staging of the theater in the city existed only as an amateur undertaking, seeking shelter on the grounds of market areas and bread storage, until February 10, 1810, there was no three-year opening of the building of the Odessa Theater, which had been building for six years under the project of Thomas de Tomon (1760 - 1813), opera "New Family" and vaudeville "Congratulatory widow".

In 1873, a fire occurred in the opera house, and it completely burned down. It was not about a recovery that could have been the language. It was a tragedy that was mitigated by one circumstance - none of the people was hurt.

The design of a new theater was proposed by the Viennese architects F. Fellner and G. Helmer, whose projects theaters in many European cities (Vienna, Budapest, Dresden, Zagreb, etc.). It was almost eleven years from the time of the fire to the laying of the first stone. The foundation of the new opera house, and the grand opening of the theater took place on October 1, 1887.

The new Odessa opera house was built in the style of the Viennese Baroque. Its facades were decorated with loggias, balconies, allegorical sculptural compositions, which symbolize all kinds of theatrical art.

Above the facade is a sculptural group depicting one of the muses, the patroness of the art of Melpomene. She sits in a chariot harnessed by four petty pantters who have been conquered by her. A little below are sculptural groups, as well as plots of ancient mythology. At the bottom, at the central entrance, on the high pedestals, there are two sculptural groups that embody the Comedy and Tragedy: on the left - a fragment of the tragedy of Euripides "Hippolytus", on the right - an episode from the comedy Aristophanes "Birds". Under the gable of the building, in the niches of the upper tier, there are busts of genius creators of Russian literature and art: Pushkin, Glinka, Griboyedova and Gogol.

The most beautiful part of the building is the audience for the audience. Its architecture is designed in the style of the French "rococo". It is luxuriously decorated with various molded ornaments with fine gilding. Of particular interest is the ceiling. The basis of her composition is based on four paintings by Leffler in the form of medallions. They depict scenes from Shakespeare's works: "Hamlet", "Sleep in the summer night", "Winter fairy tale" and "How do you like it?" Striking the elegance of openwork details is a large chandelier in the center of the ceiling. In the hall and in all tiers a lot of different stucco decorations.