National Philharmonic in Kiev
City:
Kiev
Address:
Volodymirskiy descent, 2, Kyiv, 02000
Built:
1863
Open:
from 10 AM to 7 PM
Entrance fee:

Today, the National Philharmonic of Ukraine continues to represent a wide range of different programs that include the full season of concerts of symphony and chamber orchestras of philharmonic, quartets of guitarists and bayanists, trio of bandura players, chamber and folk ensembles of the National Philharmonic of Ukraine. Under the patronage of the Philharmonic, international competitions and festivals (the competition of young pianists Volodymyr Krainev, the competition of memory of Vladimir Horowitz, etc.) are held.

Now in the creative staff of the Philharmonic works 19 national, 32 honored artists, 6 honored art workers, 5 honored cultural workers of Ukraine, many Laureates of international and national competitions, 11 art collectives, which increase the popularity of Ukrainian national culture.

This beautiful building in the heart of the city began its life in the distant 1881. Then in the past the Council of the Elders of the Kiev Merchants' Assembly received a permit from the City Duma for the construction of a stone house for its club. The author of the project was the famous Kiev architect Nikolayev, Vladimir Nikolayev, who was not only a talented architect, but also a talented musician and knew the laws of acoustics perfectly.

From the first days of its opening, this place has gained incredible popularity among the Kiev locals. In those years, there were ball-masquerades and family holidays, charity auctions and performances by well-known musicians, literary and musical evenings. The remarkable acoustics of the hall with columns were suitable for practicing any event. Famous musicians such as Fedir Chaliapin, Sergei Rachmaninov, Antonina Nezhdanova, Leonid Sobinov and others performed here on numerous occasions.

A lot of time has passed since those times, and the building, along with the city, changed its appearance and purpose. As soon as this building was not used, until the 1944 Kyiv Philharmonic was finally located. In 1996 the building has undergone a complete reconstruction. The masters completely restored in its original form a monument of architecture, equipped with state-of-the-art engineering techniques and preserved the legendary acoustics of the Column Hall.